So you may well have seen my earlier store-cupboard blondie post and thought ‘those look delicious, what could possibly be better than that?’. Well prepare to have your MIND BLOWN. I present to you, store-cupboard blondie sundae with a quick peanut caramel sauce.
Having made store-cupboard blondies earlier in the day, I knocked these up as a slightly experimental and extravagant dessert for my family’s lock-down film night and, without meaning to sound big-headed, I think this creation probably means I’m one of the greatest geniuses of all time. You might dispute this but did DaVinci or Einstein come up with a vegan peanut blondie sundae recipe? I rest my case.
The first step is to make the store-cupboard blondies. If you want to make the sundae’s in the evening then I would suggest making the blondies earlier in the day to give them time to cool, or even the day before.
The peanut caramel sauce is incredibly easy to make – simply melt coconut oil and syrup in a pan over a medium heat, boil for a couple of minutes then whisk in the peanut butter. I use an flavourless coconut oil (i.e. refined coconut oil such as KTC or Biona odorless) but you can use raw virgin coconut oil if you don’t mind a little coconut flavour coming through. Similarly to the blondie recipe, there are a few different syrup options so you can use what you have, and you can also make the caramel sauce with other nut butters, although I think peanut works really well here.
Once the sauce has cooled a little, simply layer the blondies with the ice-cream and caramel sauce, and sprinkle some extra chocolate chunks and salted peanuts on top to finish. The end result is deliciously sweet, salty, fudgy, creamy, crunchy, chocolately and rich; in other words pure indulgence. Now please excuse me while I scour the internet for some larger sundae glasses…
Vegan Store-cupboard Blondie Sundae with Quick Peanut Caramel Sauce
Indulgent ice-cream sundae with blondie bites, chocolate chunks and peanut caramel sauce
For the quick peanut caramel sauce:
- 50g coconut oil
- 75g syrup (agave / brown rice / golden / maple)
- 75g smooth or chunky peanut butter* (or other nut butter)
- Big pinch of flaky sea salt
- 1 batch store-cupboard blondies**
- 1 litre vegan vanilla ice-cream of choice (I used Swedish Glacé)
- 50g dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- 50g salted peanuts
- Measure the coconut oil and syrup into a small pan and place on a medium heat. Slowly bring to the boil and let bubble for a couple of minutes, then stir in the peanut butter using a balloon whisk until you have a smooth sauce. Simmer for another couple of minutes then add a pinch of salt. Remove from the heat and once cooled a little, taste and add a little more salt if needed.
- To assemble, chop the chocolate into rough chunks and slice the blondies into bite-sized pieces.
- In your sundae glasses / bowls / coupes / mugs / whatever other dish you have to hand, put 2-3 blondie pieces in the bottom, pour over a little of the cooled caramel sauce, sprinkle on some chocolate chunks and peanuts, then smoother with generous scoops of ice-cream. Add a few more blondie pieces to each and continue layering with the caramel sauce, chocolate, peanuts and ice cream. Finish with a final dash of caramel sauce and some chocolate chunks and peanuts to garnish.
**Find the recipe for store-cupboard blondies here: https://greedybearbakes.com/2020/04/26/store-cupboard-blondies-vegan-grain-free-gluten-free-soya-free/)